Wednesday, November 25, 2009

We Couldn't Resist...

There have been so many little things in NZ and about Kiwis that we have noticed, so we decided we would share some of them with you:

1) Mullets and rat tails are EVERYWHERE! Faux hauks are pretty popular too, but only with a rat tail coming off the back of the faux hauk part. I am really starting to fit in myself, because I have a little party in the back growing.
2) NZ drivers are a tad crazy. They fly around at high speeds in little cars and vans and barely slow down for hairpin turns. Look out for public transit buses in Wellington..they don't stop for anything or anyone.
3) White cotton sneakers are the way to go. (High tops are a close second)
4) Kiwis don't say "eh" as to ask a question, but instead to make a statement. i.e. "I had a great time eh"
5) Nobody seems to be at work...ever. Even if you are working, it seems to involve multiple coffee breaks and drinks at a cafe.
6) Shoes are optional. People like to forget their shoes at home when they go do their grocery shopping, banking, etc.
7) When you walk down the street, it looks like everyone is enjoying a little "treat" but it's actually a cigarette. They all roll their own cigarettes...even when walking down the street and having a conversation on their cell with their "mate".
8)Prostitution is legal in NZ. We have a brothel on our street (in a very family-oriented neighborhood).
9) Ketchup is called Tomato Sauce or "T-Sauce".
10) Who said cut off jean jackets at the sleeve were out of style?
11) Clothes dryers are VERY rarely used. All laundry is hung out to dry.
12) A "fully furnished" flat means that you have a stove, fridge, microwave and maybe a dishwasher if you are lucky.
13) Jay walking is A-okay.
14) Most police officers don't carry guns (only some senior officers in certain positions do)

I'm sure we will have many more, but just wanted to jot down a few to give you an idea. Little things like this make us laugh everyday!

2 comments:

  1. this is good stuff... i will be using "t-sauce" from now on. numbers 5 and 6 are right up my ally as well, #2 would be a concern however... stay safe and keep having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay so I will be down in 24hrs - like I said about the suitcase, I don't take up much room! And since I am shoeless at my desk I will be fine.....think J, of all the money you will save on shoes and besides I'm still not doing any work here either so I will fit in perfectly! Have a pint or 3 for me, hugs, Suz

    ReplyDelete